This can be a good value market because many gamblers prefer higher goal matches where they can watch plenty of exciting match goals.
A typical practice in this market is to back Under 2.5 goals for the initial 10-15 minutes of a match.
Providing no goal is scored in this period, the bet is then cashed out for a profit.
But there are risks to this approach. A quick goal can leave you with a big loss.
Instead, here are 4 alternative strategies to consider:
- Check the Tips for Today table for Under 2.5 goals
- Choose a play with a strong favourite against a team struggling to score away
- Try Betfred’s “Goals Galore” bonus selection list
- Combine Under 2.5 goals with correct score markets
Under 2.5 Goals Tips For Today
Selections for the Under 2.5 goals Tips for Today follow the process described earlier of confirming an average score of Under 2.5 goals, including H2H matches, of 60% or more.
Just check the daily table for the latest tips.
Choose a Play With a Strong Favourite Vs Team Struggling To Score Away
Some teams develop a reputation for low scoring matches.
The reasons could be:
- Lack of effective strikers in the squad
- A defensive style of play
- A history of low scoring against particular teams
- A record of consecutive under 2.5 goals results
The result is that odds for that team’s matches will favour low scores.
Another significant reason for shortened odds before such a match for Under 2.5 goals is that many gamblers leave their bets on for the early minutes and close out as the odds narrow further.
The essential point of this tactic is to find teams that show a very strong defence at home.
This means identifying teams with outstanding “Clean sheet” stats as they will have a good chance of blocking goals even from favourite opponents.
To find such teams visit soccerstats.com.
Select your league and click on “Goals”.
Then select “Scored/Conceded”.
Scroll down to the “Clean sheets” table.
Here will be listed the best and worst teams for not conceding goals.
Real Betis can be seen as an ideal candidate, being the 3rd best team for clean sheets in the 2016/2017 La Liga season when playing at home.
Proof of this is that the two strongest title candidates, Barça and Atletico de Madrid, both came away with only 1-1 when playing at the Benito Villamarín stadium.
Pro betting tip:
- Always look for the best price early before the match.
- Select teams that are struggling to score but also have top clean sheets stats and at least one under 2.5 goals score against a strong favourite team.
Betfred Goals Galore Bonus Coupon
Goals Galore Bonus List is a coupon option from Betfred that offers a selection of matches for you to choose from to win big bonuses if both teams score in three matches or more.
Since we know bookmakers want to make money from customers—not give it all away—you can be sure the Betfred BTTS coupon list represents an expert selection of low scoring matches where it is most unlikely both teams will score.
Although unintended, this is a rare example of a bookmaker assisting your winning strategy.
But before betting on Betfred BTTS match selections for Under 2.5 goals always do your own current team research.
Combining Under 2.5 Goals With “3-0” and “2-1” Correct Score Markets
This strategy is in-play betting at its best!
It’s a technique you can really enjoy practising.
The method involves placing your betting on a single match on two different markets, and it offers you many ways of taking profits throughout a game.
By enabling profit opportunities on a variety of different scores you get a low risk method of cashing in with plenty of flexibility according to match events.
Here is the procedure to follow:
- Select a match that has a clear favourite to win at odds of about 1.3 – 1.6.
- Check that odds at the Under 2.5 goals market are above 2.50.
- At the Correct Score market check the odds for 3-0 and 2-1 to the favourite.
- Decide your stakes then bet on under 2.5 goals and scores of 3-0 and 2-1.
You don’t need a ‘top form’ favourite for this strategy as you don´t want 2 or 3 goals scored too early in the match.
Take a look at the example below.
Example: Torino vs Crotone (Serie A)
Torino recent form: Key factors
- Won 2 out of their last 6 matches at home
- Scored 3 goals in 2 of those matches
Crotone recent form: Key factors
- Won 1 of their last 6 matches away
- Failed to score in 5 of those matches
Checking the relevant home and away league performances of both teams is highly recommended.
Head to Head
- Of Torino’s last 5 H2H home matches against Crotone, 4 finished with under 2.5 goals scored and 2 produced no more than 3 goals.
Torino striker, Andrea Bellotti, was motivated by his challenge to become Serie A top scorer.
Crotone were only 3 points above relegation.
Bet on Under 2.5 goals for €10 at 2.66
Bet on a 2-1 score at 8.25 for €4
Bet on a 3-0 score at 12.12 for €6
(This stake ratio of 5:2:3 can be modified according to the odds)
The potential score lines covered by this strategy are considerable.
- In the Under 2.5 goals market: 0-0, 1-0, 0-1, 1-1, 2-0 and 0-2.
- In the Correct Score market: 2-1 and 3-0
This can offer you a number of possible opportunities to cash out your bets during the match.
- A first goal for Crotone with Torino chasing creates a great profit opportunity from a 2-1 score line (as long as 2-1 arrives in first half)
- Torino ahead by 1-0, 2-0, or 3-0: cash out the 3-0 at the latest between the 75th-80th minute (don’t risk waiting to the end of the match)
- Torino 2-0 in the 70th minute: cash out Under 2.5, cash out 2-1 or leave, retain 3-0 as a possibility
- At half time cash out from everything
- At half time cash out or leave a free bet on Under 2.5 goals (if 0-0 or 1-0) and allow correct scores to remain into the second half if a team is desperate to win
A safe strategy would be to choose the fourth option.
Cashing out at half time (when the score was 0-0) would mean a loss from the correct score market, but a profit from the Under 2.5 goals markets.
In this case, that would produce a total profit of over 30% of total stake.
And the actual final score?
The match ended at 1-1.
So let´s look at the potential winnings after each goal, or if the bets had been left to stand after half time:
Pro betting tip:
Identifying matches in the Under 2.5 goals markets that have odds above 2.50 could be a tiresome task.
Fortunately, at btfstats.com there is an easy way to overcome this problem.
At btfstats.com click on the “UO” tab.
Now on the Events List bar click on “Time”.
Finally, sort the “< 2.5” column by high to low odds.
Now you can readily find those matches where odds for Under 2.5 goals are 2.5 and above!
Risks in combining under 2.5 Goals with “3-0” and “2-1” correct score markets
Early first half goals in a match are an obvious risk.
Quick early goals will increase expectation of a high-scoring game. Therefore, odds won’t fall as they otherwise might.
A possible solution with plenty of opportunities is to go for the Under 3.5 goals market and Correct Scores of 3-1 and 4-0.
Just be sure to pick matches selectively and stick to your money management rules when distributing your bets.
Risks when betting on the under 2.5 goals market:
- Allowing your in-play bet to run on too long when the score remains 0-0.
- Very short odds on some Under 2.5 goals qualifiers need to be assessed carefully in terms of profit over risk.
This is a very common form of combination football betting and draws in plenty of wagers.
In the early minutes of a match you might find it hard to place your bet at the same time as so many other gamblers.
Always be sure to place your bets before the match starts.